The Elements of Art Through Photography

Black and White / Value

Close-up

Color

Feels 3D

Geometric Shape

Line Natural

Man Made Line

Organic Shape

Small Depth of Field

Texture

1. What strengths and weaknesses do you see in your own work?

One strength that I see in my work is the reflection of light on the lens in my texture photo that I think adds a cool touch. Another strength I see is that my small depth of field photo makes you feel like you are the size of the small clock and standing right in front of it. A weakness I see in my work is that my man-made line photo doesn’t really convey any emotion as it’s simply a picture of a roof.

1. How might you improve or refine your approach in future photography projects?

I might refine or improve my approach in future photography projects by adding more variability. In my photos I used similar props, such as using the clock and colored stones twice. I also want to make all my photos have a focused subject because my man-made line photo doesn’t have a clear subject which makes it feel more like a snapshot.

1. Pick one of your photos, what emotions or messages did you intend to convey through this photograph?

With my small depth of field photo, I was trying to convey a sense of mystery. I darkened the photo slightly for an eeriness effect. Additionally, I placed a clock on the tree because it would seem out of place and I wanted the viewers of my photo to question its presence.

1. Are there specific elements of art you would like to explore further in your photography?

I really enjoyed taking photos that featured colors, close-ups, and small depth of field. It was fun to utilize blurry backgrounds and to emphasize a specific color. I would like to utilize these elements in later photos.

1. What concepts or techniques do you want to experiment with in your next project?

I want to experiment with combining different elements of art in my photos. I especially want to combine color and small depth of field and or close up to really focus on one color. Additionally, I’d be interested in challenging myself and trying to combine value and feels 3-D. Colors can help make an object feel more 3-D due to contrast, but with significantly less contrast with only black and white, it would be more challenging.

One Response